Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent Teacher Association Meeting Minutes for Tuesday April 5, 2022

Attendees: Janel Chin, Dana Hupp, Shannon Murphy, Melody Nelsen, Pam wright, Lucia Thorness, Erin Krutz, Carrie Sweatland

8:15 a.m. – Welcome,  Intros and Call for other items 

8:20 a.m. – Nomination of candidates to fill upcoming vacancies on the PTA Board

8:25 a.m. – Principal and Teacher Updates

  • Montana Shakes (Montana’s Shakespeare in the Parks’ elementary school program) came on March 15th and performed a 35 minute interpretation of the classic A Midsummer Night’s Dream called Bottom’s Dream by Matt Foss. There was a 15-20 minutes Q&A and  workshops for all grade levels as well? 
  • Placement of the $2,000 smart board ATG funded last winter
  •  $831.43 was approved last meeting towards the $1,662.85 that Pam requested from the district to replace the slide – update from Shannon and/or Pam on whether enough funds remain in the account the school holds PTA funds in to cover this…
  •  $225 was approved for buses so that the 5th graders can attend the Wildlife Film Festival but we later learned that outside funding sources existed for this so we asked that those be first explored – update?
  • Update on teacher funding requests: How many teachers have spent their classroom grants? How many requested funds over their $300 classroom grant?? Discussion Item: Do we need to communicate to remind teachers who haven’t spent their grant that it is available???

8:30 a.m. – Running Club/Fun Run (Dana, Jess, Molly, Kim)

  • Running Club
    • May 9th will be the kickoff day for the fundraising online that kids will manage with their families.  Teachers will show video May 9th and daily videos are optional after that (perseverance, courage, etc.)
    • Begin on Monday April 25th at 7:45 a.m. and will be offered every Monday and Wednesday morning in preparation for  the Fun Run on Friday May 20th (kindergarteners must have an adult accompany them to participate in the a.m. running clubs).
      • If your student would like to participate before school, you will need to return the permission form
    • A Tuesday afternoon Running Club will also be offered during recess (1:20 to 3:10 p.m. April 26th through May 17th) and we are looking for volunteers to help out and support our students
    • Kim is designing and printing hats for volunteers to help students ID helpers as they run (Thank-you Kim!)

– Pam is coming up with a schedule for the Fun Run day so that students are spread out throughout the day and 

families can come watch.

– Families will be encouraged to ask friends and family for pledges in the weeks leading up to the event in 

accordance with the formula Boosterthon is providing along with their on-line fundraising platform we are 

utilizing this year.

– we hope to make $20,000 so that hopefully no additional fundraising will be needed to fund the 2022-23 school 

year’s budget.

  • Discussion Items: 
    • Brainstorming incentive options: popcorn party, no zones recess, PJ and/or kids dress like teachers, teachers dress like kids day, Principal Wright kisses a pig (Lucia has connection to pigs)
    • Our community’s generous anonymous donor has committed several thousand dollars in funding on a matching basis for an in-person event this spring, should that be the Fun Run or another event??? Maybe animal wonders at end of year in the outdoor classroom?

8:40 a.m. – Committee Updates/Reports

  • Art Education
    • Grant was submitted to the Montana Arts Council (thank-you Elizabeth Willy!) to try and get funding for a new kiln per art teacher, Monica Thompson’s request.
      • Update from Pam on the availability of district funding  for this. 
  • If we aren’t able to fully fund this request Monica is open to the idea of a specific capital campaign like selling cards of kids artwork, or something like that…  
  • Teacher Appreciation – Jen and Lauren delivered snack/goodie bags on March 14th for conference week
    • Discussion Item: Families seem eager to donate funds to buy appreciation food/gifts for teachers but less excited to donate funds to the PTA so that we can fund teachers requests for support in their classrooms, why might that be? How do we better communicate/highlight the needs that teachers share with us?
  • Outdoor Education
    • Garden
      • Committee met on Monday March 7th and invites all interested to attend the next meeting on April 11th at 3:30 p.m. in the garden to discuss plans for the 2022 growing season.
      • Farmer Lori will be in 2nd grade classrooms today to review topics such as storage veggies, apples, wheat, cows, honey bees and to celebrate with Montana Superbread tastings.
      • Garden City Harvest Farmer-Educators will teach two sets of lessons this spring and in the fall. 
        • In the spring, Kindergarteners and 3rd graders visit the garden for composting and planting lessons and return as 1st graders and 4th graders in the fall to harvest veggies and put the garden to bed. 
          • Lesson 1- Composting: May 2nd and 3rd
          • Lesson 2- Planting: May 23rd and 24th
        • In the spring, a 30-minute planting activity is offered to other grade levels.

– Teachers are encouraged to use the garden space for learning all year long

  • ROC 
    • We are looking for a volunteer to spearhead communications with teachers and staff about how to best spend the $2,284 in ‘Neighborhood’ grant funds that the City of Missoula gave to the ROC as those funds must be spent by June 1st
      • Discussion Item: at our last meeting we decided that Crazy Creek style chairs would provide more versatility than the original plan to purchase 4 picnic table bases and fir 2×8 timber from Heritage Timber to construct 4 tables. 
        • Jen Oakland was looking into whether grant funds could be spent on chairs to be used in the ROC versus picnic style tables…

– A work day has been proposed to prep the school garden for the new shed that is being planned for that space, sand and stain the buddy bench and assemble these tables.

– What day might work well???

8:50 a.m. –  Other Ideas/Events/Fundraisers

  • 5th grade Making A Difference Everyday (M.A.D.E.) club
    • Maggie Ward has volunteered to supervise during Thursday lunch/recess.
    • A no interest loan was approved last meeting for supplies so that they can create crafts to sell. They plan to donate 75% of their profits to charity.
  • Battle of the Books (Dana)
  • Interest in reviving Chess Club – a former sibling of an RE student used to hold a chess club during Friday lunch recess (11:00 a.m. to 12:35 p.m.), we are looking for someone to re-start this (it could be on a different day)
    • The chess boards and maybe even some rules are in the FCC closet so we would just need a coordinator or two each week.
  • Ranger Tom Bicycle Commute Challenge in May? 
  • Bike Rodeo – postponed due to lack of a volunteer coordinator and the board’s need to focus on Running Club/Fun Run this spring. 
    • There is interest in holding it next fall and getting alumni involved with bike repair and bike skills instruction.
    • The FCC, Parks n Rec and Missoula In Motion have partnered with us on past events
    • Molly Bradford expressed interest in potentially planning/sponsoring a movie night / bike rodeo event in conjunction with other grade schools at Ogren Park this fall at our last meeting…
  • Update on idea of packaging and distributing school supplies as a fundraiser/service to families who do not enjoy shopping for school supplies – Jen Sheldon
  • MCT in 2022-23 school year (Dana)
  • Lego Robotics club at RE

8:55 a.m. – Health and Safety

  • Several incidents have been reported/observed of cars hitting or nearly hitting individuals crossing Rattlesnake Drive. Please sign-up to help-out as a crossing guard if you are able: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d44ada62aa3fe3-morning. 
    • If every family volunteers just one morning, we could cover the rest of this year and next school year as well: What an easy way to give back to our school community and make sure all students get to school safely each day!
  • Lead was detected in some of RE’s drinking fountains. Update from Pam re what has been done?
  • We now know that  COVID comes in waves and the newest variants are affecting regions that have previously peaked ahead of our community so please continue to do your part to keep vulnerable members of our community safe by:
  • Getting vaccinated and encouraging others to do the same.
  • Check students for symptoms and keep students home even if symptoms are only mild. Staff and teachers have reported individuals attending school/work with fevers, vomiting etc.
  • Use face coverings in settings with the potential for transmission. If your student needs a reusable cloth face covering, let us know as we received another recent donation.
  • Keep our social circles small and outside.
  • When your students are healthy and able to attend school, be consistent with attendance as non-COVID related absences are creating extra work for teachers in terms of preparation and planning. Please be respectful of our teachers’ time and grateful for the extra work they put in to catch students up when they miss school. 

9:00 a.m. – Announcements

  • Next Leadership Meeting is scheduled for Thursday April 7th at 4:30 p.m.
  • The next PTA General Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday May 3rd after drop-off (8:15 a.m. ish) and we will elect new board members as President Janel Chin and Treasurer Shannon Murphy are both at the end of their terms.

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent Teacher Association Meeting Minutes for Tuesday January 4, 2022

Attendees: Janel Chin, Dana Hupp, Shannon Murphy, Melody Nelsen, Lucia Thorness, Jen Sheldon, Jen Oakland, Pam Wright

8:15 a.m. – Welcome,  Intros and Call for other items 

8:20 a.m. Presentation of Standing Rules for adoption, deferring until next meeting

8:25 a.m. – Principal and Teacher Updates

  • Group picture day will be in March, PTA liaison Sarah Smith has coordinated the last several pictures days and asked to try a Corvallis company, Double Exposure this year as Washington Middle School used them last fall and the experience was preferable to what Sarah has experienced using Lifetouch at RE in the past.

8:30 a.m. Funding Requests

  • The garden has been hoping to get a new shed for over a year because the existing shed is too small to hold the garden cart, sink or trellising material to protect them during the winter month. It is also hard to organize the hand tools, irrigation equipment, shovels and rakes in the existing shed due to cramping. A larger shed would allow communal teaching supplies and subby spaces and/or shelves for the teachers to use. The hope is that the garden would then be more welcoming for teachers as well as students who could start being in the shed with the adult weighing their harvested produce.
  • Jen Oakland will apply for a grant for next year and she will talk with Lori to hire someone to build a shed. Approved 2000 for funding this.

– There are great garden sheds at Lowell and Paxson if anyone is interested in seeing what they have.

– ideally something in the neighborhood of 7’x10′ or 70 square ft. which is estimated to cost $2,000 unless someone is interested in donating the materials and/or building it themselves.

  • The kiln at RE is in a state of disrepair (has been since a near fir 4 years ago), a series of band-aid fixes have kept it limping along but art teacher Monica Thompson is hoping to secure $3,000 in funding to replace it. If we aren’t able to fully fund this request Monica is open to the idea of a specific capital campaign like selling cards of kids artwork, or something like that…  Pam will check with district to ask if there is any funding available for this. Jen oakland forwarded Monica a grant for this yesterday that is due in mid March. Janel Chin will help with the grant application.

8:40 a.m. – Committee Updates/Reports

  • ROC – $2,284 in ‘Neighborhood’ grant from the city needs to be spent before June 1st of this year. Ideas of things that would be utilized well include a podium/lectern for teachers at the front of the amphitheater, picnic tables in the area above the amphitheater, bird boxes, binoculars to spot elk and other wildlife on Mount Jumbo and/or native plant displays. We need a volunteer to spearhead communications with teachers and staff to choose a top priority and execute plans to carry it out in the next few months.
  • Discussed buying table basis and Becky with heritage has donated the wood and we could coordinate getting volunteers to build the tables.
  • Jen oakland will talk to audubon society about bird boxes. And heritage timber may have bird box kits to donate
  • Teacher Appreciation – smoothies  (Lauren / Jen S. )
  • MCT directors are working with all RE students this week. Big thanks to Dana for coordinating this and Worden and Thane for sponsoring it financially.
  • “Montana Shakes” which is Montana Shakespeare in the Parks’ elementary school program is coming to RE on March 15th to do an age appropriate performance (interpretation of the classic A Midsummer Night’s Dream called Bottom’s Dream by Matt Foss) for all RE students.

– Battle of the Books update (Dana). 4th graders are liking having lunch together while prepping for battle of the books. Next battle end of February

– There has been interest in forming a Lego Robotics club at RE, SpectrUM is interested in supporting this and some ATG employees may be interested as part of their community volunteer program as well. There would be costs for a coach (unless a volunteer is found) and for the lego sets. Pam will check with staff to see if there is a teacher who wants to coach.  

– Let us know if you are interested in either an afterschool First Lego robotics program at RE or the public library (it is for 2nd through 5th graders https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/fll/what-is-first-lego-league and this year’s theme is related to transportation: https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/fll/game-and-season) although it may be too late to organize for this year…  Registration for next school year is due my mid-May…

– Big thanks to Melody for her work coordinating Direct Donate this winter– we raised enough to cover classroom grants next year!

8:50 a.m. – More fundraisers will be needed this winter and/or spring  in order to budget for things like the school garden, early literacy intervention, recycling and academic enrichment such as the MCT residencies occurring this week. 

  • Spring Auction Canceled unless volunteers emerge in the next week or so to solicit donations as well as a volunteer to coordinate the listing of items on an on-line platform for bidding.

– Our community’s generous anonymous donor has committed several thousand dollars in funding on a matching basis for an in-person event this spring so we are looking for volunteers to plan this in March, April, May or June. We could add a fundraising element to a recurring event that the bike rodeo or running club/fun run or we could plan something completely new. Lots of opportunities!! But we need volunteers!!!

  – Fun Run is scheduled for Thursday June 9th and is usually preceded by a running club (tentatively planned for May 2022) prior to 2020 & 21 COVID cancellations running club was held on Tuesday and Thursdays in May and the first part of June both before school and during afternoon recesses. Students could be asked to gather donations in April to support their efforts running in May and June. Past coordinators have led students through some warm-up drills followed by a short run/walk on the trails out by the PEAS farm and/or around the school yard.

– Prior to COVID some years a bike rodeo event has been held at RE in conjunction with Parks n’ Rec, Missoula In Motion and other community partners who may be willing to be involved and potentially add a fundraising element.

-Jen Sheldon brought up the idea of school supplies packaging as a fundraiser. Janel will forward the companies to Jen. 

9:00 a.m. – RE saw unprecedented levels of COVID last month and numbers remain records settingly high throughout our community. Let’s all do our part to support the healthcare community that is struggling to keep up with the influx of unvaccinated individuals. Things RE families can do to help:

  • Get vaccinated and encourage others to do the same!!! Let us know if you need information about why COVID-19 vaccinations are recommended or need assistance scheduling your family’s vaccinations.
  • Check students for symptoms and make sure their face covering is clean and well fitting before sending them to school each morning and keep students home even if symptoms are only mild.
  • Use face coverings in settings with the potential for transmission. If your student needs a reusable cloth face covering, let us know as we received another recent donation.
  • Keep our social circles small and outside as much as possible
  • When your students are healthy and able to attend school, be consistent with attendance as non-COVID related absences are creating extra work for teachers in terms of preparation and planning. Please be respectful of our teachers’ time and grateful for the extra work they put in to catch students up when they miss school. 

9:05 a.m. – Announcements

  • If you see out-of-date information on our website, please let us know!
  • The next PTA General Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday March 1st after drop-off (8:15 a.m. ish) but we are open to a change in meeting time if needed to include as many folks as possible– suggestions welcome! 
  • Our Board is looking for new members and volunteers, please consider reaching out to learn more.

September 2018 General PTA Agenda

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association
Meeting Agenda for September 4th, 2018 from 8:30am-9:00am
Meeting will be held in the School Garden.

Agenda

  • 8:30 Welcome and Introduce Board Members
  • 8:35 Two Notices about Open Positions
    • Vice President is open now, vote for new VP will be at October meeting (Tue Oct 2nd).
    • Treasurer will complete term in May 2019.
  • 8:40 Upcoming Events and Volunteering Needs
    • Open House is Sept 12th 5:30-6:30, we will staff a table and need a few volunteers
    • Beef Jerky Fundraiser will start around Sept 18th (approx), we will need several helpers for handouts and sorting
    • Bike Rodeo will be in late Sept or early Oct, we will need many helpers for stations and activities
    • Garden Committee needs more volunteers and has several upcoming opportunities to get involved
    • Wellness Committee welcomes all interested parents to learn more about their projects
    • Teacher Appreciation Committee is seeking more enthusiastic participants for their monthly teacher appreciation events.
  • 9:00 Goal time to adjourn to Q&A at 9:00am

MANY THANKS TO BLACK COFFEE ROASTING COMPANY for providing hot coffee donations for this meeting AND our Welcome Coffee last week!

February 2018 General PTA Agenda

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association Meeting
Agenda for February 7 2018 from 8:30am-9:00am
Meeting will be held in Family Connections Center

Please enter through the Main Entrance, walk straight down the main hall, and look for the FCC near the end of the hall on your left.

AGENDA

  • Welcome (5 minutes)
  • Funding Updates (5 minutes)
    • January funding requests (granted) – (1) 5th Grade Roxy/SPARK Arts mystery movie project; (2) 5th grade book set (The Inuit Thought of It); and (3) 3rd Grade Field Trip to Glacier Ice Rink
  • Upcoming Events (10 min)
    • Family Jump Rope night — February 15th (see Event Listing)
    • Spring Fling — March 16th (see Event Listing), Auction TEAM & Activities TEAM (Hoe-Down)
    • Fun Run — June 5
  • How you can help! (5 min)
    • Spring Fling “Hoe-Down” on March 16 from 5:30p – 7:30p – join our team!
    • Classroom Basket Team –  Carissa, Maggie A, & Becky
    • Auction Callers / Team – NEED volunteers to help out (maybe
      another power hour at the school?)
    • Hoe-Down Activities Team – Anne G, Becky, Erin, & Maggie W
    • Food Team – Alex and Erik
  • FCC Update (5 min)
  • Adjourn!

 

January 2018 General PTA Meeting

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association Meeting
Agenda for January 3rd 2018 from 8:30am-9:00am
Meeting will be held in Family Connections Center

Please enter through the Main Entrance, walk straight down the main hall, and look for the FCC near the end of the hall on your left.

AGENDA

  • Welcome (5 minutes)
  • New “Everyday Way to Raise Money” Program (2 min)
    – Mabel’s Labels – Thanks to Cassidy for setting up!
  • Event Updates (5 min)
    – Direct Donate Final Tallies
    – Spring Fling will be March 16th
  • How you can help! (8 min)
    • Spring Fling on March 16 from 5:30p – 7:30p – please join a team!
    • Classroom Basket Team, Carissa, Maggie A & Becky
    • Auction Callers / Team –  NEED more volunteers to help out
    • Hoe-Down Activities Team, Maggie W, Erin, Becky – NEED more
      volunteers
    • Food Team, Alex and Eric
  • FCC Update (5 min)
    – Box Tops Competition in January – dates of deadlines and parties
  • Adjourn!

This month’s hot coffee and baked goods donor will be Bernice’s Bakery! 

December 2017 General PTA Meeting

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association Meeting
Agenda for December 6th, 2017 from 8:30am-9:00am
Meeting will be held in Family Connections Center

Please enter through the Main Entrance, walk straight down the main hall, and look for the FCC near the end of the hall on your left.

  • Welcome (5 minutes)
  • Funding Updates  (5 minutes)
    • Recent Grants
    • Budget
  • Fall/Winter Events (10 min)
    • Book Fair – Nov 30 to Dec 1 – Laurie and Becca
    • Direct Donate – Nov 20 to Dec 31 – Leigh and Maggie A
    • Spring Fling – March 16 – Auction co-lead & Activities Lead
  • FCC Update (5 min)
  • How you can help!  (5 min)
  • Adjourn!

Thanks to Black Coffee Roasting Company for donating this month’s coffee, and we will have scones from Scones by Jo!

November 2017 General PTA Meeting

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association Meeting
Agenda for November 1st, 2017 from 8:30am-9:00am
Meeting will be held in Family Connections Center

Please enter through the Main Entrance, walk straight down the main hall, and look for the FCC near the end of the hall on your left.

  • Welcome (5 minutes)
  • Funding Updates  (5 minutes)
    • Recent Grants – Kindergarten field trips; Recycling; 5th grade field trip
    • Budget- Beef Jerky (thank you Alex, Becky, and Carissa)
  • Upcoming Events (10 min)
    • Teacher Appreciation –  Nov 8 – Jacqui
    • Book Fair – Nov 30 to Dec 1 – Laurie and Becca
    • Direct Donate – Nov 20 to Dec 31 – Leigh and Maggie A
    • Spring Fling – March 16 – Auction co-lead & Activities Lead
  • FCC Update (5 min)
  • How you can help!  (5 min)
    • Spring Fling Team
    • Focus Group (will be held at 9am after this meeting) what can go into a monthly newsletter?
  • Adjourn!

Thanks to Drum Coffee on East Broadway for donating this month’s coffee!

October 2017 General PTA Agenda

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association Meeting
Agenda for October 4th, 2017 from 8:30am-9:00am
Meeting will be held in Family Connections Center

Please enter through the Main Entrance, walk straight down the main hall, and look for the FCC near the end of the hall on your left.

AGENDA

  • Welcome (5 minutes)
  • Funding Updates (5 minutes)
    • Recent Grants
    • Budget status
  • Fall/Winter Events (10 min)
    • Open House – Sept 28 – Thanks to Molly, Alex, Erin, and Jen!
    • Beef Jerky – Oct 17 – 12:30-3p – Volunteers needed to help sort/distribute
    • GFS Scrip Accounts – Ongoing – Shannon
    • Teacher Appreciation – Ongoing – Jacqui
    • Book Fair- Nov 30-Dec 1 – Laurie and Becca
    • Direct Donate – Nov 20-Dec 31 – Leigh and Maggie A
    • Spring Fling- March 16 – Auction co-lead & Activities Lead needed
  • FCC Update (5 min)
  • How you can help! (5 min)
    • Vision screening could use a few volunteers (Oct 24)

 Adjourn!

Thanks to Black Coffee Roasting Company for donating this month’s coffee!

September 2017 General PTA Agenda

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association Meeting
Agenda for September 6th, 2017 from 8:30am-9:00am
Meeting will be held in Family Connections Center

Please enter through the Main Entrance, walk straight down the main hall, and look for the FCC near the end of the hall on your left.

AGENDA

  • Welcome and Introductions (8:30am, 5 minutes)
  • What brought you here today? (5 minutes)
  • Updates on PTA Basics (5 minutes)
  • Principal Pam’s Corner (5 minutes)
  • How you can help! Upcoming events, new ideas, and more (5 minutes)
  • Adjourn (9:00am)

 

May 2017 General PTA Agenda

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association Meeting
Agenda for May 3rd, 2017 from 6:30pm-7:30pm
Meeting will be held in Family Connections Center

Please enter through the Old Gym Doors as the Main Entrance is locked in the evenings.

AGENDA

6:30p Welcome (Maggie)

  • Intention of meeting

Upcoming Events & Activities in May/June

  • Fun Run (Emily/Maggie)
  • Missoula Gives (Leigh/Maggie)
  • Kindergarten Roundup (Leadership Team)
  • Celebration Night (Janel/Maggie)
  • Teacher Appreciation Week (TBD)

PTA calendar for 2017-2018 (Leadership Team)
PTA positions for 2017-2018 (Leadership Team)

  • Share position ideas & outreach

Principal Update (Pam)

FCC Update (Jen)

7:30p Adjourn