Leadership Meeting Minutes 9/2/21

Rattlesnake Elementary School Parent Teacher Association

Thursday September 2, 2021

In attendance:  Janel Chin, Dana Hupp, Melody Nelsen, Sarah Smith, Pam Wright

  • Principal and Teacher Update
  • School needs two noon duty positions filled (paid positions 10:45 to 1:15 pm M-F), needs crossing guard, needs substitute teachers (parents who are interested need to go through formal process through MCPSMT)
  • Health and Safety Updates
  • How can we continue to support school outside?
  • Yoga mats for outdoor sit spots were donated at the Open House event. No additional sit spots needed.
  • Can we do anything to encourage unmasked times like lunch to be outdoors? Right now kids are eating outside.  When colder months come, indoor seating will be assigned so close contacts can be identified (would be max of 5 close contacts). May consider outdoor tent in colder/rainier months to come, but staffing for this (two open noon duty positions) and outdoor exposure may be obstacles.   Another option is to allow parents who choose to take their child home during lunch on cold days.

Funding Requests

  • 4th grade team has requested $1,000 to bring visiting Naturalists from Montana Natural History Center to do monthly outdoor lessons (hopefully in the new ROC). They will spend part of their classroom grants for busses to the field trip to Travelers Rest State Park and the rest on supplies for their classrooms. APPROVED
  • First grade teacher Amy Petrini has requested $241 for a magnetic dry erase easel with wheels and storage. APPROVED
  • Several teachers have used their classroom grants for items such as books and supplies for their classrooms.
  • A funding request was proposed and approved for RN Lisa Flanagan to purchase an air quality monitor last year so that she could have local outdoor air quality measures readily available to decide about students going outside on smokey days. Lisa ended up returning the monitor due to incompatibility with MCPS’s internet. We may have volunteers willing to install this on their residences near the school.  Pam will discuss further with Lisa Flanagan.

Discussed changes needed to the $26,600 Budget for the upcoming school year:

  • Janel and Dana would like to invite Animal Wonders (https://www.animalwonders.org/presentations.html#/) to present at the RE at some-point during the school year. Stacy is interested in partnering as a FCC/PTA co-event. We discussed Thursday or Friday October 14th or 15th as potential dates for an evening presentation which we hope to hold in the ROC if weather permits and in the gym if not. We believe this event will cost approximately $500.  May be a good event to celebrate the ROC. Pam may contact the Missoulian for the event. 
  • Discussion of additional hours needed to assist Dana with MCT in February.  Dana requests 12 hours of Sarah’s time to assist with MCT during the week of January 31st. (auditions 1/31/22 and 2/4/22 11am to 8pm) Sarah thinks this will work and Pam will try to get coverage as we get closer to that time to cover the 1st grade team and Sarah’s noon duty. 

Fundraising Updates

  • We have many items of swag that are available for sale.  Dana is ordering more kid and adult sweatshirts that can be available at Movie Night.  Approved 2000.00 in purchases.
  • We have a credit with Lifetouch for the yearbook that a deposit was made for during the 2019-20 school year but that we delayed due to COVID complications during the 2020-21 school year. Janel will reach out to Michelle Knowles.
  • We hope to hold a salmon sale again at some point this fall (TBA) but without some of the complications that contactless delivery created.  Janel will discuss with Ash.
  • We plan to hold an in-person book fair in the library November 8-11.  Dana has discussed with Robin Nygren. Sounds like Dana has volunteers lined up. Set up Monday. Tuesday student preview and wish lists.  Tuesday evening- open for sales. Thursday noon closes down.
  • We plan to hold our annual Direct Donate fundraiser in December.
  • We plan to hold an on-line auction again in April (Spring Fling) but will need volunteers to make that possible.

Announcements

  • Please join us in reading the Wizard of Oz in anticipation of our movie night at Ogren ballpark on Wednesday September 22nd
  • Rattlesnake Creek’s Watershed Group is looking for creative/artistic individuals to assist them in creating a banner for their fall festival on Sunday September 26th from 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. at Ten Spoon Winery the event involves food, music, activities, art and games. Bring apples if you would like to press cider and let us know if you would like to be part of the banner decorating in advance of the event.
  • The next PTA General Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday September 7th at 8:20 a.m.
  • Fall Picture Day has been scheduled for Tuesday October 4th

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s