April 2019 Leadership Meeting Minutes

PTA Leadership meetings are open to anyone that is interested in contributing to the hard work of the PTA’s board, teachers, event leaders, volunteers, and various team leads! 

RATTLESNAKE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PARENT-TEACHER ASSOCIATION

Leadership Meeting Minutes for April 23th 2019 from 7-9pm in the FCC

ITEMS AS DISCUSSED

Becky K: Wellness

Name for the cafeteria, contest for idea submission. There will be some naming criteria and the board and/or Principal Wright will limit to several suggestions. Timing of process needs to be incorporated into other commitments in the end of the school year. The Fun Run fliers go out by the end of this week (4/23) and so the Cafeteria fliers should Tuesday of next week (4/30) with a return deadline of 2 weeks. The cafeteria naming process is currently being introduced by Principal Wright and a subset of the PTA.

There was some discussion of making it (cafeteria naming) a sponsorship of the Wellness committee, but decision was to not pursue that due to the Wellness Committee not yet being an official committee of the school nor PTA.

Pam: Yearbooks

Yearbooks will be distributed close to end of the year. Online orders ended April 22nd but cash orders are still accepted. We’ll need to figure out a deadline for cash and check orders to make the process run smoothly.

Currently 200 yearbooks have been ordered but more could be made available if more orders come in. This is the first year and it turns out the yearbook process was very time intensive for Stacy. Next year it will need to be a parent volunteer project. Needs to be led by one or two people so as to have efficiency and continuity. Approx 40 volunteer hours estimated for next year. Big thanks to Stacy and Michelle N for leading up the first year of yearbook!

Leadership General Business

Elections and Expected Vacancies 2019-2020:

Regularly scheduled elections (VP and Treasurer) will be conducted at the 7 MAY general meeting. VP will be open to staying (as a new VP was elected in on an “off” year), but may be open to having another candidate. Treasurer and VP are the two that are open as per the charter.  Shannon M is currently the only candidate for Treasurer and has been expressing clear interest in the position. It is possible that secretary may be changing as well, that would be at the discretion of the Secretary (term formally ends May 2020). Molly C will also be resigning as Co-president. Teacher appreciation coordinator and the volunteer coordinator will also be open at the end of the year- these are not elected positions and can be filled/changed at any time as needed.

Board Structure, Roles, and Responsibilities:

Secretary has had some question regarding duties and responsibilities. Treasurer beyond the tracking of funding has a few additional requirements. VP also has not been well defined for specific areas. The roles are written down in the charter but are currently not closely followed.  Previously focus sessions have been focused on what the organization wants to accomplish, but not as to who specifically does what. A specific meeting ideally should be dedicated after the election so as to define those responsibilities with the new board members plus new leads (i.e. volunteer coordinator). More about board roles here.

Montana PTA Day on May 18th (Saturday) at Missoula Public Library:

Open house held by the Montana PTA overarching organization for all PTA members in the Missoula area.  Timing: 10:30-11:30 Training Session, 11:30-12:30 Open Networking. It would be good to have all old and new Rattlesnake PTA’ers attend if available and willing.

Standing Rules Revisions Note:

Revisions don’t necessarily need to be made, but a statement needs to be submitted regarding no changes if that’s the case. Leigh will be looking through standing rules to see what is relevant and realistic to keep or change. Process is that then the board will sign off on and then the submission will be made to the state PTA to hold on record. Required by State PTA to be done annually for best practices.

Process and Schedule for 2019-2020 Budget building:

Discussion on how to conduct this process. Last year, was a 3+ hour meeting which was not completely effective, it proved too complex to tackle productively in a single meeting. Proposal to set a series of task focused shorter meetings and session. Idea was to focus on what we want to accomplish (what are PTA and Teacher Priorities) and then work to allocate funding to those categories and programs. This will then drive what is necessary for fundraising and spending. Concept is to make sure we let priorities drive the budget. This process is conducted with both incoming and outgoing leadership.

Break down as proposed: One meeting to discuss and set priorities (suggestion to be during May Leadership was put forth and agreed upon). Second meeting to assess anticipated cash position and allocate funding across those priorities. Secondary sub meetings to share those outwards (to parents and teachers) prior to formalizing and voting. Then formalize and vote on budget. Fiscal year turns over 1 July.  We do want to get approx 90% complete and voted on by the fiscal turnover, and ideally prior to end of school year for simple logistics (i.e. personal vacations). Third (conceptual) final meeting to determine fundraising events and requirements for the coming year, fundraising works as step three since it funds the following year. Fundraising takes up most of the time, effort, and energy of officer time- discussion as to how effective that is.

May Meetings:

May Leadership meeting Scheduled 28 MAY 6:30-8:30: Proposal to use at least half the time to set priorities with both incoming and outgoing leadership. Other items to be placed on agenda in a rolling document.

Set Agenda items for May general meeting (7 May 8:30am FCC): Need for Elections: VP, Treasurer, possibly secretary (TBD). Announcement that Molly is no longer going to co-president. Other items TBD.

June General Meeting:

Decide if we will hold a June general meeting: Decision- yes- will be primarily used to announce priorities for the next year and then touch bases with the teachers to ensure coordination of efforts with the teachers. Could also use the time to look at whether or not the hoedown is desired again for the next year. Any last minute Fun Run needs can also be addressed at this meeting. June 4, 830am in FCC.

Academic Enrichment Votes

Mr. Z’s Speaker:

Finish up discussion and decision re: Mr Z’s speaker cost: Pam- the PTA was looking at splitting with the school. There are some funds available in the Academic enrichment budget, but the cost was $600 so a big ask. The school will be looking at and deeply believes in the value of the request. Acad Enrichment budget level is currently $2,977 however there are commitments already on parts of that funding. The board voted unanimously to fund half- $300- for the speakers, on the assumption that the school will cover the other half or more. In the event that the school cannot fund $300 or more, we will need to revisit. Vote yes, 7:0:0.

K Team for Buses:

Discussed the requests, the funds were confirmed to be from the teachers’ discretionary classroom budgets. Does not require a vote. The various bus bills will be billed to PTA as a single invoice per event and then parsed out to classroom budgets for PTA accounting needs.

Dombrowski Request:

$74 for May 21st field trip bus. Parents are leading the field trip opportunity. According to Pam it is to go to the trail at the end of Duncan Drive for bird watching field trip. Some discussion on bear spray, wildlife precautions will be taken. Vote taken 7:0:0, in favor to fund bus request.

Available Funding:

Discussion on funding available in Academic Enrichment (current balance $2977).  Some set commitments are in motion and not yet subtracted from that total; trip to Butte $500, Band speakers $300, other programs and requests. It is clear that some funding is still available for additional needs as/if they arise.

Events

Fun Run and Running Club:

Running club will begin next week (week of 29APR – 3MAY) pending final logistics (sidenote: now finalized starting May 2nd!). Emily has talked with Pam and cleared all major dates and ideas. Flier will go out at the end of the week with all details and asking for volunteers. Anticipated to be a replay of last year format wise. Glitterpops are not an option this year (family that made them has moved). Course will have a new starting point to avoid tripping hazard that was a problem in past years. Need to explore food possibilities for the end of the race, i.e. see what Emily has planned for fruit, bagels, water, milk, etc. Sponsors for Fun Run – currently have $350. Idea is to have have a picture area for the event for the kids that has sponsors logos beyond it as their recognition. Dye free Otter Pops are available at Costco to replace the glitter pops, Judith will look into this or other choices to simplify end of race options. See Fun Run webpage for full details and volunteer signups, https://rattlesnakepta.org/2019/04/26/fun-run-and-running-club-2019/ 

Teacher Appreciation Week May 6-10:

Jacqui is managing. Will need to call for many volunteers. Signups are available https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0D49A8A92EA31-rattlesnake 

Additional Updates

Crisis Buckets for the Classrooms, Pam’s Request:

These are literal buckets for lock down drills, to facilitate hygiene, food, and water in emergencies. Idea to ask parents for items and funding, vs PTA straight funding. Discussion to have PTA fund directly so as to not induce extra anxiety with the larger parent population. Request to have Pam create a budget request for cost of all items that the district cannot provide on school funds, and then PTA will vote on it at May Leadership meeting. Pam was comfortable with that method.

Spring Fling:

Cost benefit analysis brief overview. Idea to buy baskets on sale now that Easter is over, to save money. Judith or Molly will ask the project leads from last year so as to have a number to procure.

Raised $8400 in gross income, Molly reviewed budget $1300 was unspent in what was allocated for expenses. Therefore, net $7700 plus estimated $500 in income still to come plus $1300 in reserved budget roll over (Estimated effective total raised therefore $9,500). The event does raise substantial funding however is very high in its commitment for volunteers hours and resources. The in kind donations decreased direct costs, but the time commitments are extensive.

Swag Updates:

Reuable lunch bag update- unfortunately have been returned for credit.  They were of poor quality. Full refund was given, new (hopefully better) things are being purchased instead.

We now have trucker hats for sale. Also would like to initiate the next online school spirit order period. With the recent folks missing the yearbook sales, they will likely miss this with the other announcement. Prior online sale did prove efficient as no inventory is on hand, low minimums and for purchases. Easy to initiate. Board approves another spring online sale. Discussion to set up table for sales at events (Fun Run, K Parent Night, other?)

Box Top Funding:

Check cannot come to the PTA for funds, Box top has changed the rules and can only be received by the school. Could also fund Mr Z., Recycle, and Crisis buckets.

Recycling Bills and Schedule:

Discussion on if box tops be used to fund the bill as the PTA is covering classrooms. Yes it is a shell game, but allows that to be funded by the school as we are funding support to the classrooms. $604 has been paid so far this year and box tops can cover that. Tabled with the need to engage with Pam and Stacy (Pam departed prior to this item).

 

ADJOURN

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s