October 4th, 2017 Rattlesnake Elementary School PTA Meeting minutes
Meeting attendance: Maggie Ward (P), Anne T (VP), Alex Stokman (T), Laura Fellin (S), Sarah Lee (Teacher Rep) + ~18 parents and guardians. It was a packed house!
Items as Discussed:
- Recent Grants
- $1,850 – 2nd Grade Dance Program- integrates education and movement
- $150 – 5th grade band instrument rentals for two students in need
- $200 – new School Counselor request to use toward the purchase of an iPad
- PTA Budget
- $31,000 allocated for 2017 – 2018 school year
- Goal to raise at least 5% more this year. Whatever is raised this year then forms the budget for 2018-2019
Event Updates and Needs
- Open House – PTA table sold $750 of Rattlesnake spirit gear; FYI Rattlesnake gear is available for sale in the FCC on Mon, Wed, and Fri during school hours, or at any future school event that has a PTA info table. Great work on Open House, everyone!
- Beef Jerky – Sales were up! 540 Units this year, which is 123 more than last year. Once the jerky arrives, several volunteers will be working during the day in the FCC to help organize it for distribution. Thanks to Alex and all the sorting/distributing volunteers- you make the first fundraiser of the year so successful!
- Good Food Store Scrip, Fresh Market, Amazon Smile, Box Tops are ongoing all year – visit the Everyday Ways to Raise Money webpage for more info https://rattlesnakepta.org/everyday-ways-to-raise-money/
- Teacher liaison position – Jacqui Lloyd generously agreed to fill this position to focus on organizing events for teacher appreciation week, parent – teacher conference weeks (Nov 9-10/ Mar 8-9) and other monthly appreciation events. Her first event, which was donating tea on Open House day, was great! Thanks Jacqui. Volunteers would be appreciated for the monthly events, which will be the last Thursday of each month. An email announcement is forthcoming, or email the main PTA (rattlesnakePTA@gmail.com) to volunteer to be part of Jacqui’s team.
- Book Fair – Week following Thanksgiving, 2-3 days, more volunteers are needed. We partner with Fact and Fiction to support their local business. Kid request forms and teacher request forms will be available. The FCC will likely help purchase books for kids that do not have the means to buy their own, contact Jen Jencso to learn more about this. It was suggested that we advertise in our community for the book fair. Posters could go up in Rattlesnake Gardens, Drum Coffee, Riverside Coffee (E. Msla), MIS tackboard, CFS tackboard, and other bookish gathering places. Book Fair co-leads will pursue this idea.
- Direct Donate – Leigh Greenwood and Maggie Angle will lead. November 20 – December 31. We are making a fun giant thermometer so that we have a visual tool for the kids and neighborhood to monitor. We raised $7620 last year. Our goal this year will be a bit higher. Billy Petrini offered to take on the giant thermometer project. 5th graders may be in charge of maintaining it for Meaningful Work. Jennifer Oakland suggested we remind people sometimes there is employee match for charitable donations, which is a good idea to increase giving. No keychains this year.
- Spring Fling will be March 16th 2018. We are looking for volunteers to help out. The most pressing need is an auction co-leader and activities coordinator. The name “Spring Fling” reflects that we are moving away from carnival games; we’re looking for great ideas!
- Teachers can utilize their class newsletters and weekly emails to share PTA information. Ms Lee requested some additional information for her to share out to teachers. Top Ways to Reach PTA was the #1 request, to increase efficient communications. Here is what we sent out for her to use:
- Email the PTA at RattlesnakePTA@gmail.com
- Find us on Facebook for lots of updates, information, and event listings: https://www.facebook.com/RattlesnakePTA/
- Visit the PTA’s website to learn about what we do, how you can help, and use our school and community quick reference pages: https://rattlesnakepta.org/
- Come to our monthly meetings from 8:30am-9am, first Wednesday of each month, held in the FCC room within Rattlesnake School.
- Fall Family Movie Night is planned for Oct 26th 6-8pm. This is a family event, not a drop off event. Volunteers will be needed for concessions- sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d44ada62aa3fe3-movie Donations are welcome to cover the main expense: $175 licensing fee for one time showing, or we may opt for a $480 unlimited licensing fee for the year. PTA will also discuss this as a grant request in its next session.
- Family Fun Game Night, pizza, and family portraits in East Missoula will be this winter, date TBD.
Coffee this month was donated by Black Coffee Roasting Company. Thank you BCRC!
The next monthly meeting is November 1st 2017, Wednesday, from 8:30-9am in the FCC. Hope to see you then!