September 6th, 2017 Rattlesnake Elementary School PTA Meeting minutes
Meeting attendance: Maggie Ward (P), Anne T (VP), Alex Stokman (T), Jen Jencso (FCC) + 24 parents and guardians
Items as Discussed
What brought you here today:
Attendees were asked to fill out cards to explain why they were at the PTA meeting, and what was most important to them. Most of the cards indicated that attendees wanted greater connection, a sense of community, knowledge on things that were going on, and opportunities that might arise to help the school. A few people also mentioned a desire to help directly with fundraising and grant writing. These ideas were discussed. Staying connected was explored: a combination of the PTA website, PTA Facebook profiles, handouts in Boom Folders, emails, and meetings was suggested. Greater connection was explored: annual community events, classroom volunteering starts generally in October, become part of the Garden committee, go on field trips with your child’s classroom.
Maggie shared how the PTA aims to (1) foster a sense of community; (2) support our teachers/staff; (3) support the safety/welfare of our kids; and (4) enrich our kids’ academic experience. She also covered the basic school year schedule, detailing that the PTA covers both fundraising events, and community events, and one event that is both (the Spring Fling). The current PTA budget for this school year (2017-2018), is $32,000. Money raised during this school year becomes the budget for next year (2018-2019). Our fundraising goal for this year is $35,000. The PTA has elected officers, some of which are up for election this winter, and some this spring, due to the term limits in the charter. Lastly, the PTA is a member of the state PTA and the national PTA, and it was mentioned that it might make sense to create connections with other MCPS elementary school PTAs if they are willing/able, for growth and community.
How you can help!:
The PTA has a busy September and October with brief volunteer needs for many single-day events. Events discussed are as follows:
- Sept 15: SPARK Arts School Garden Party will be from 3:30-5:30. No volunteers needed for this party, this is a community event.
- Sept 20: Beef Jerky fundraising forms due to teachers. Volunteers will be needed in October to support this fundraiser, see below.
- Sept 20: Individual School Pictures. 1- 2 volunteers needed to usher kids to their spots.
- Sept 22: Hearing Screening: 1- 2 volunteers needed to help keep screening running smoothly.
- Sept 28: Open House from 5-6pm. PTA will have an info table and apparel for sale.
- Oct 10+11: Beef Jerky Fundraiser. 1-2 volunteers needed to help sort and collate beef jerky orders for distribution.
- November (exact date TBD): Book Fair! 2-4 volunteers to help our librarian with the annual book fair.
To volunteer for any of these opportunities, please email rattlesnakePTA@gmail.com
Other business as discussed:
The school garden has a lot of produce to give away. It will be given away to students at the end of a school day once a week (originally Thursday, was shifted to Wednesday) by parent volunteers, until the produce is done- around mid October depending on the weather. The schedule of giveaway will rotate to ensure it covers most classes/days/schedules. To volunteer to help with produce giveaways, see: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d44ada62aa3fe3-produce
No new funding requests brought up at this meeting.
Adjourned at 9:00am
Thank You to Hygge Coffee for hot delicious coffee for our meeting!
The next PTA meeting will be at 8:30am October 4th in the Family Connections Center (near the old gym).