April 5th, 2017 Rattlesnake Elementary School PTA Meeting minutes
Meeting attendance: Maggie Ward (P), Anne T (VP), Laura Fellin (S), Alex Stokman (T), Jen Jencso (FCC), Pamela Wright (Principal) + parents Eric, Leah, Emily, Alex, and Michelle
Items as Discussed
Fun Run and Running Club: Emily Linton
- Event Date: June 6th 2017
- Kindergarten – 1 mile, all other grades – 1 or 2 mile
- Jen will host a cheering club if any children prefer/need to not run
- Water bottle and popcicles at finish line, no T-shirts this year
- Running Club starts April 18th on Tuesdays and Fridays, two options: (1) 8am and (2) during afternoon recess. Running Club meeting details: (1) Memorial on bus p/u side of the school; parent must accompany kindergarteners; volunteers needed to run with kids. (2) school will assign meeting spot.
- Volunteers are needed.
- Considered a school field trip.
- Reservation fee for Pineview Park is $150
- Runner’s Edge supports the run for free with winners gate, speakers, etc
MCPS Elementary (K-8) Operations Levy Ballot Item: Pam Wright
- In response to the State Legislature’s budget reduction for K-12 schools, MCPS has added this initiative to the May ballot. It is a $804,861 Levy for school district operation costs: salaries and benefits, books, training, coaches, instructional programs and materials.
- No transportation or building/maintenance costs included. Ballots will be mailed to voters in mid-April and are due by May 2nd.
- PTA’s role: Communicate the importance of voting; messaging; promote a Yes vote
- Suggestion made to offer a in-person Q&A for Rattlesnake residents. Pam Wright will pursue it.
- Maggie proposed voting to message/promote the levy on the ballot, Anne seconded the vote, all attendees voted yes in favor of the vote
- $5,400 income to date
- Square outstanding
- Unclaimed merchandise not yet purchased (may increase net income)
- $1,750 expenses
- Carnival volunteers and committee celebration night in the works. Jen suggested making it a school wide volunteer celebration. Maggie is working on it!
PTA Positions/Themes: Maggie
Planned themes will allow parents to plan for meetings with topics of interest to them. Specific positions will allow parents to choose how to be involved.
Upcoming Family Events:
- April 12th Class Photos: Michelle and Carrie have graciously volunteered to help out with the event.
- April 20th Family Fun Night at the school gym, 5:30 – 7pm at the school
- Theme: Potluck and Portraits (digital photos) (family, friends, selfies, the options are unlimited)
- May 19th Folk Dance family event
- May 25th Bike Rodeo
- June 6th Fun Run, as mentioned above
- June TBD Garden art installation celebration/open house
Next Month’s General PTA Meeting is scheduled for May 3rd at 6:30pm in the Family Connection Center